Monday, March 07, 2005

Sail away

It is a great day to sail away.

A few days ago, rain clouds and continuous drizzle overcast Manila. Today, I had no worries even if I need to take a ship to my destination - Corregidor Island.

November 12, 2004, Friday, around 8:15 am, aboard the MV Sun Cruises, I embark on a journey that will take me more that 60 years back in history during a period in time that most people would probably want to forget because of the tragedies and horror war has brought upon them. But it is also a trip that would remind me of the bravery, courage and heroism of our forefathers that has brought us to where we our today - a free nation.

I wouldn't probably be on this trip if it were not for my balikbayan relatives who wanted to visit Corregidor. I haven't been to this tiny but historically significant island along the southern tip of the Bataan Peninsula, yet I volunteered to be their "tour guide" for the rest of the day. Good thing, Sun Cruises provides very skillful and trained personnel who took care of everything during our tour of the island. My relatives, Tita Judith and her husband, Tito Cesar, haven't been home for more than 30 years. They have been living in Florida for almost half of their lives. This balikbayan trip was courtesy of their son, my cousin, Gregory, who wanted to spend an unforgettable 30th birthday by bringing his parents and his younger brother, Joe, here in the Philippines. Actually, it is Greg and Joe's first time to visit the country, and are both exited to discover the history and culture of their heritage.

Photo courtesy of gregoryperez

Manila Bay was gorgeous! The view of the city from afar is breathtaking - ang ganda pala ng Maynila sa malayo! The sea air was a breather especially for my balikbayan folks who were complaining much about the smog in the city. The one-hour cruise was quite enjoyable too.

I am confident, even I myself haven't been to Corregidor, that they will enjoy the place and will have a great historical blast!

2 Comments:

Blogger stranger7800 said...

WOW WOW WOW! sarap naman, i've always wanted to go to corridor...este, refrigerador...ay naku, basta alam mo na yon, napuntahan mo na nga eh! =) hehehe. tagal bago ka naka-post ulit ha...pabalik-balik nga ako dito palagi, waiting for your next adventures, tapos eto ang post mo, HANEP, it was worth the wait. thanks for sharing, pre!

visit mo rin photography ko, my new passion. http://fictures.blogspot.com update ko yan everyday, masaya eh! na-influence ni marco =)

8:04 AM  
Blogger ryangillego said...

Thanks so much... I'll do my best to complete my Corregidor series, after this, punta naman tayo sa ibang places... I can't wait to share my travel experience in Isabela, in a very remote and exotic place called "Honeymoon Island".... wait lang kayo, busy lang talaga sa work :)

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home